Bike Safety in our Community
Cyclists – that’s you – be a smart rider!
Learn the law, be prepared, and ride defensively.
Join a group ride, make a plan, ride home alive.
BIKE SAFETY & DEFENSIVE RIDING
There’s lots of road construction in Williamsport. Heads up!
What’s the PennDot.gov law?
If you’re over 12, no law requires a helmet – but wear one every time you ride. There’s a soft brain in there, and concussions are terrible. Enough said!
Compared with a car, bikes require little maintenance, But make sure everything works – tires full, brakes work, and gears shift. Stop in our shop to be sure!
Make a Plan
If you’re a beginning rider, start off in an area where you’re comfortable. Plan a route to the nearest park. Contact us to learn about community group rides!
Stick to the Basics.
- Follow the rules. Obey all the traffic laws.
- Ride on the right side of the street.
- Don’t ride on the sidewalk.
- Don’t use headphones.
- Use a headlight and tail light after sunset.
- Stop at red lights.
- Never ride the wrong way on a one-way street.
Learn to coexist with cars. Be predictable in traffic.
- Use hand signals.
- Raise your arm in the direction you want to turn.
- Ride as far from parked cars as you can.
- Watch for people opening car doors.
- Use a bell or yell “Passing on the left!”
- Watch for potholes and grates.
Where We Are