General Bike Maintenance and Troubleshooting
Even a beginner cyclist needs to know the basics of bike maintenance and repair. Our classes can teach you preventive maintenance techniques to keep your bike in good working condition. Breakdowns are unavoidable, and every cyclist needs to know essential tools and techniques to repair their bike and get back out on the road or path.
- Spare tubes and patch kit
- Tire levers
- Bike pump
- Bike multitool with Allen wrenches.
Saddle Pack Essentials for Everyday Riding
For longer rides, check in with your local bike mechanic or riding group to go over what your particular bike may need during a breakdown.
Essential Bike Maintenance
Inspect your bike for loose components before every ride to prevent issues and potential safety hazards. Most adjustments can be made with a bike multitool.
- Check the ABC’s to extend your bike’s life and keep you safe on your ride.
- Air: Properly inflated tires prevents flat tires. Check the air pressure, and ensure any quick-release levers and thru axles are tightened. Make sure your patch kit and pump are supplied with good replacement parts.
- Brakes: Squeeze your front and rear brakes to ensure they properly engage.
- Chain: Make sure your chain and gears are free of debris, clean and lubricated. This will also ensure your drivetrain lasts longer.